- Getting Started
What are the requirements to become a Whales English teacher?
- • Education: Bachelor’s degree or higher
- • Teaching Certificate: A TESOL/TEFL/CELTA
- • Teaching Experience: Minimum 1-year experience teaching children
- • Native English speaker from the USA, UK, Canada Australia, Ireland, New Zealand
Do I have to reside in a specific location to be eligible to provide services with Whales English?
- You can work with us from almost anywhere in the world as long as you can teach from a quiet place, with a clean background, and stable internet connection.
I cannot sign up on the Whales English website, what do I do?
- Please try the following:
- 1. Refresh the page
- 2. Clear your web browser cache
- 3. Switch browsers (Our website should work optimally on Chrome. Try another browser such as Firefox if the problem persists).
- 4. Try to connect to the Internet from another router or computer
- If you try all of these options and still encounter problems, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
What equipment do I need?
- Windows 7, 8, and 10; MAC OS 10.X or higher operating system
- Intel Core i3 above processor
- Minimum 4GB RAM memory
- Minimum 20 Mbps wired internet connection
- External camera or built-in camera (HD camera preferred)
- A headset with microphone (noise-cancelling headset preferred)
What is the process to become a Whales English teacher?
- 1. Sign up for an account and complete an application form.
- 2. Book a Mock Class Interview and show your unique skills.
- 3. Conduct a background check and validate your qualifications and experience.
- 4. Sign your service agreement and become a Whales English teacher.
How soon can I expect a reply after submitting my application?
- The Hiring Team will get back to you within 48 hours upon receiving your application. Our main communication tool is through email so please also check your spam folder frequently as emails can go into the spam folder very easily.
What is a Whales English Mock Class?
- A Whales English Mock Class is a combination of a live interview and a short demo lesson. We conduct the interview first, then ask you to demonstrate your teaching skills using the lesson materials provided.
What's included in the backgroud check?
- Our background check looks at your Education, Identity, and Criminal Record. We are committed to safeguarding the privacy of information we receive. As such, our background check service provider, Sterling, will collect, use, disclose, and store personal information only in compliance with applicable laws.
What type of classes do you offer?
- We offer Trial Class and Regular Class.
- Trial Class: This is a diagnostic class for prospective students to try out the course and the teacher. Teachers can convert their Trial Class students to their Regular Class students by conducting high-quality Trial Classes
- Regular Class: A type of class that consists of several months of lessons. Teachers are able to form long-last bonds with their students by meeting them regularly; usually once a week.
What is the class size?
- Whales English offers different class sizes. A typical class will have 2 students. There are also classes with a larger class size; up to six students.
Do I need to plan for lessons?
- Lessson materials will be provided. However, you‘re required to familiarize yourself with the lesson materials ahead of the class. The use of relevant props and supplementary materials is encouraged.
Am I expected to communicate with parents in Chinese?
- Teachers are not expected to have direct communication with parents in any language other than English. Your teacher consultant (TC) serves as a liaison for between you and the parent. Also, one of the main goals of Whales English is to offer students full-immersion English classes so there’s no need to speak Chinese in class.
Is there a minimum commitment I need to make?
- The contract between Whales English and teachers asks teachers to commit to teaching for a minimum 12-month with a certain amount of fixed peak time slots per week. The peak time slots are from 7pm - 9pm Beijing time.
Can I choose my own hours?
- Yes, you can choose your own timetable. Whales English offers classes 7 days a week.
How does the scheduling work?
- It depends on the type of classes you will teach. With most classes, the parents will select the teachers. However, there are some classes where our schedulers have the responsibility for assigning classes to teachers.
What is the cancellation policy?
- Limited time-off will be provided during a 12-month contract but adequate notice is requred if teachers have to cancel a class.
When and how will I be paid?
- Teachers are paid on the 15th of the month for the previous month’s work. It can be paid via Wire Transfer or Payoneer (your preference).
Do I need to pay tax?
- At Whales English teachers are independent contractors and as such are responsible for their own taxes in accordance with their individual tax jurisdictions or state laws.
What currency am I paid in?
- You are paid in US dollars through Payoneer or bank transfer. You can then exchange US dollars for your local currency.
How do I qualify for a pay raise?
- A pay raise evaluation will be conducted every 12 months (at the end of your contract). Your overall performance review, and the number of opened time slots will be taken into consideration when conducting the evaluation. If the result is found to be satisfactory, you will be eligible for a pay raise.